Early Career Scientific Development Award
The Early Career Scientific Development Award offers financial support to members of the Society or to their collaborators in the view of gathering information and experience on a specific research issue OR on a laboratory technique in the field of paediatric endocrinology.
- A maximum of four awards of up to €2,500 each will be available on an annual basis.
- These will be awarded every three months, with application deadlines of 31 January, 30 April, 31 July and 31 October.
- The committee can, at its discretion, award more than four awards in extraordinary circumstances, for example, if several particularly deserving applications are received contemporaneously. Likewise if all applications within a quarter are deemed poor in quality the committee reserves the rights to withhold the award.
- The award covers travel and housing expenses only. It excludes personal living expenses. This award will support research materials and costs at a rate of €100 per week with a maximum of €500 for the time of the award.
An award must be used within 6 months of receipt.
An award can be used to finance a short-term visit of a few days to up to six weeks' duration in an external laboratory/hospital/institute in order to:
- Learn a new technique
- Troubleshoot on existing methods
- Discuss new methods/techniques in a research seminar
- Compile statistics on joint research projects
- Test samples in the framework of a joint research project.
Alternatively, the award may be used to finance the visit of an outside expert in order to receive essential guidance, consultation or advice at the requester's home institute.
A brief report using the Report form should be submitted to the ESPE Team electronically within three months of completing the visit.
Award recipients are encouraged to acknowledge the Award support in any publications which result from it.
- Scientific interest
- Feasibility of the project (including, time-frame)
- Host/home centre (relevant expertise)
- Adequacy of the application to the aim of the Award
Each application will be peer-reviewed by at least two members of the Science Committee Expert Panel
Completion of the award
Upon completion of the award, the following short report should be completed and submitted in electronic format within three months of completing the award.
How to Apply
The following documents should be submitted by the application deadline.
- Application form
- Detailed CV
- Letter of acceptance from the Head of the Host Institution
- Letter from one sponsor (who must be ESPE member)
- Written statement of commitment to inform ESPE of the results of the award by submitting a short report and to acknowledge the programme in publications or ESPE presentations.
All applications must be submitted electronically to the ESPE Team.
All applications will be acknowledged by email. A decision will be made by the Science Committee and applicants will be notified by the ESPE Team within one month of the deadline date. Failure to submit applications electronically may result in delays to the process.