Male puberty induction - contribute to research
14 Sep 2020
Questionnaire concerning male puberty induction and availability of hormonal preparations. Prepared on behalf of experts working on guidelines (Endo-ERN initiative) for male pubertal induction.
Aneta Gawlik, Faisal S. Ahmed, Claus H. Gravholt, Anders Juul, Erica van den Akker, Hedi L. Claahsen, Marco Bonomi, Cecile Branchet, Csilla G. Krausz, Taneli Raivio, Diana Vitali, Adrianne Dessens, Arlene Smyth, Philippe Touraine, Jo Blair, Olaf M. Dekkers, Anna Nordenström, on behalf of experts working on guidelines (Endo-ERN initiative) for male pubertal induction.
Prepared on behalf of ESPE Turner Syndrome Working Group.
Different protocols for the induction of male puberty exist and the choice of therapy depends on the underlying condition, personal experience, patient preference, as well as local availability of the drug. The purpose of this questionnaire is to understand the variation in practice and the availability of the different preparations in different countries. The responses will be used to aid in the development of guidelines on pubertal induction, an initiative that is being led by Endo-ERN with close collaboration with ESPE and ESE.
An English version of the questionnaire consists of 16 questions dedicated to health care professionals (HCP) involved in hormonal therapy for male puberty induction. Its word version was converted into a survey in SurveyMonkey (https://www.surveymonkey.com/), which is available by using the LINK: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/325B99K
The proposed time frame for receiving feedback is from September 2020 until the end 2020.
The questionnaire responses will be reviewed by the experts working on guidelines (Endo-ERN initiative) for male pubertal induction. A meeting or a teleconference will be organized in order to analyze the data and arrive at a final conclusion.
- Dunkel L, Quinton R. Transition in endocrinology: induction of puberty. Eur J Endocrinol. 2014 Jun;170(6):R229-39.
- Zacharin M. Pubertal induction in hypogonadism: Current approaches including use of gonadotrophins. Best Pract Res Clin Endocrinol Metab. 2015 Jun;29(3):367-83.
- Zacharin M. Disorders of Puberty: Pharmacotherapeutic Strategies for Management. Handb Exp Pharmacol. 2019 May 30. doi: 10.1007/164_2019_208.
- • Boehm U, Bouloux PM, Dattani MT, de Roux N, Dodé C, Dunkel L, Dwyer AA, Giacobini P, Hardelin JP, Juul A, Maghnie M, Pitteloud N, Prevot V, Raivio T, Tena-Sempere M, Quinton R, Young J. Expert consensus document: European Consensus Statement on congenital hypogonadotropic hypogonadism--pathogenesis, diagnosis and treatment. Nat Rev Endocrinol. 2015;11(9):547
- Stancampiano MR, Lucas-Herald AK, Russo G, Rogol AD, Ahmed SF. Testosterone Therapy in Adolescent Boys: The Need for a Structured Approach. Horm Res Paediatr. 2019;92(4):215-228.